QAOA using the Gaussian backend of StrawberryFields

I am looking for a way to use the Gaussian backend of StrawberryFields for QAOA. Is there a way to do this? If I try the QAOA example from PennyLane with the device “strawberryfields.gaussian”, then I get an error saying that that device does not support the RX Gate. Does that mean that the StrawberryFields Gaussian backend cannot be used for QAOA or can some changes be made in order for it to work?
Thank you in advance!

Hi @emg, welcome to the Forum!

Notice that the Gaussian backend, and Strawberry Fields, were built for continuous-variable quantum computing. The gates that are used in this framework are different from the gates you’re used to.

This introduction to quantum photonics in the Strawberry Fields website has a nice comparison between the two frameworks. If you’re not used to the continuous-variable model I recommend that you use a gate-based backend such as ‘lightning.qubit’.

Please let me know if this helps.

Hi @CatalinaAlbornoz,

thanks for your answer. I’m actually more used to strawberry fields and photonic QC than Penny Lane or Qiskit. I want to have a GBS as the “sampler” in a QAOA set-up. I realize this is not possible with any out-of-the-box software package, or are you aware of one?

Hi @emg, one of our former residents made a QAOA with Strawberry Fields tutorial. It dates from a few years ago but you may find it helpful! Is this what you were looking for?