Possible to run a displacement Gate on Xanadu Hardware?

Hi

I have a circuit containing a Dgate that I would like to run on a photonics hardware.

Looking at both chips available on Xanadu cloud I understood that :

• Borealis works as a time domain circuit and allows for one squeezing gate, three rotation gates and three beam-splitters.
  • X8 works as a regular program and allows for squeezing gates and two mode squeezing gates followed by an arbitrary interferometer (rotations and beam-splitters).

Is my understanding correct that none of the hardware above is able to perform a rotation gate ? Or is there a work around ?

In addition I have noticed that the demo for Time Domain photonics ends with a homodyne measurement while Borealis ends with a Fock measurement. Is my understanding correct that this TDM demo cannot be ran on Borealis ?

Thanks a lot

Hi @alicewithoutbob ,

As you mention Borealis has rotation gates but no displacement gates.

X8 has an arbitrary 4x4 unitary consisting of BSgate, MZgate, Rgate, and Interferometer operations.

I don’t think there’s a workaround for running the Dgate on hardware.

As for your second question, yes, the Time Domain demo cannot be run on Borealis. You can run the quickstart, beginner or advanced demos on Borealis that you will find here, and you can modify certain parameters such as the level of squeezing, number of modes and the parameters in the gates.

I hope this clarifies your question!

1 Like

Hi @CatalinaAlbornoz ,
Thank you for your answer, it confirms my understanding :slight_smile:

I’m glad I could help @alicewithoutbob!