Pennylane offline installation

We want to use supercomputers to implement Pennylane applications, but we cannot connect to the Internet, so how to install pennylane? When downloading offline installation from github, some dependent packages still need to be installed online. Is there a packaged pennylane that can be installed offline directly?

Hey @zj-lucky! If I understand correctly, by installing pennylane “offline” you mean that you’ve cloned the pennylane github repo and are installing pennylane like pip install -e .? If so, yes you will need to have an internet connection to be able to do this. As you stated, pennylane depends on several packages and those need to be installed as well.

However, there is a way around this, but you will need to have access to the internet on a different machine first :smiley:. Let me explain.

1. On a computer with access to the internet, you can download pennylane to a specific folder: pip download pennylane -d /path/to/packages/. This will stick pennylane and its dependencies in the folder /path/to/packages/. The files that will be there are .whl files.
  2. Move that folder with all of the .whl files to the “offline” computer.
  3. On the “offline” computer, install those packages: pip install pennylane --no-index -f /path/to/packages/.

Let me know if that works for you!

1 Like