Windows Support for Pennylane-qskit Plug-in Install

I was trying to install Pennylane-qiskit on my Windows 10 machine. I continue to receive the following error.

ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
     command: 'c:\users\wesleyresearch\pycharmprojects\pennylane\venv\scripts\python.exe' -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\WESLEY~2\\AppData\\Local
\\Temp\\pip-install-hwbevqaj\\pyscf\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\WESLEY~2\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-hwbevqaj\\pyscf\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'
"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base 'C:\Users\WESLEY~2\AppData\Loca
l\Temp\pip-pip-egg-info-y31dpa3h'
         cwd: C:\Users\WESLEY~2\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-hwbevqaj\pyscf\
    Complete output (9 lines):
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "C:\Users\WESLEY~2\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-hwbevqaj\pyscf\setup.py", line 207, in <module>
        for x in blas_libraries]
      File "C:\Users\WESLEY~2\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-hwbevqaj\pyscf\setup.py", line 207, in <listcomp>
        for x in blas_libraries]
      File "C:\Users\WESLEY~2\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-hwbevqaj\pyscf\setup.py", line 148, in search_lib_path
        paths = os.environ.get(LD_LIBRARY_PATH, '').split(os.pathsep)
    NameError: name 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' is not defined
    ----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.

I am unsure why I am receiving this error. Can anyone provide any input on how to correct this?

1 Like

Hi @Wesley_O_Quinn,

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

The PyScf framework that you’re using is unfortunately not supported on Windows 10 (it’s a known issue of pyscf).

As suggested, solutions could include turning to using a Linux based system or the subsystem for Linux for Windows.

Feel free to let us know if you’d have further questions!

I managed to install earlier version of qiskit plugin on Windows

pip install pennylane-qiskit==0.9.0

Simple example from tutorial is working, but I am not sure, if it is proper way of resolving such a problem.

Hi @qubeat, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I am attempting to fix it with these two PRs:

1 Like

This is now fixed and the latest version of pennylane-qiskit can be installed using:
pip uninstall pennylane-qiskit -y
pip install git+https://github.com/PennyLaneAI/pennylane-qiskit#egg=pennylane-qiskit

2 Likes