Possible to Model Semi-Distinguishable Photons?

Hey!

Disclaimer: I am completely new to strawberry fields, and also not very well-versed in thinking in terms of CV, so sorry if this is an obvious question!

What I’m trying to simulate is basic Hong-Ou-Mandel interference, but to look at this when there is a slight time-delay between the two incident photons (so still some temporal overlap, but the photons are no longer completely indistinguishable). I feel quite happy with the HOM example given here Threshold detector probabilities of Gaussian states — Strawberry Fields but am struggling with trying to include some distinguishability. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Hey @DistractedHedgehog welcome to the Forum!

Sorry for our late response. We’ll be back soon with an answer!

Hi @DistractedHedgehog,

Yes it is possible but not with Strawberry Fields. You will need to use the internal_modes branch of The Walrus.

You can install it by running
pip install git+https://github.com/XanaduAI/thewalrus.git@internal_modes

My colleague David has been very kind to share this notebook which shows how to do what you need.
HOM_Example.ipynb (38.2 KB)

Please let me know if this helps!

1 Like

Hi @CatalinaAlbornoz,

Thanks very much for your help, and also to David for the fantastic notebook – this is exactly what I was trying to do! The internal_modes branch seems really powerful with regards to all the realistic experimental imperfections it can incorporate.

Thanks again!
DH

I’m glad this worked for you @DistractedHedgehog ! I’m happy to help. And I’ve forwarded your Thank You to David too!