Non default.qubit simulator errors in a larger model

Hello,

For a larger model, the only simulator that runs properly is default.qubit. Other devices such as lightning.qubit, SV1 (Pennylane-Braket), and QSIM (PennyLane-Cirq) were implemented according to documentation, but typically experience delays in training updates and sometimes reach correct Epoch 1 training values, but not successful validation. In general, a long delay is experienced when interrupting execution of the run during training, unlike that experienced for default.qubit.

Source:

Thank you,
Kevin K.

Hey @kevinkawchak!

Just want to make sure I’m understanding — when you replace "default.qubit" with "lightning.qubit", SV1, or QSIM, the transfer learning demo (1) runs slower and (2) is more stochastic (random). Are you able to provide the output of qml.about() in the environment where you’re seeing this behaviour?

Hello, yes. The other simulators are slower and more random in nature.
The qml.about output is <function pennylane.about.about()>
Best regards,
-Kevin

Thanks! qml.about will point you to the function, not the output of the function :sweat_smile:. Can you put brackets after? I.e., qml.about()

Thank you, for cirq.qsim:

Name: PennyLane
Version: 0.31.0
Summary: PennyLane is a Python quantum machine learning library by Xanadu Inc.
Home-page: GitHub - PennyLaneAI/pennylane: PennyLane is a cross-platform Python library for differentiable programming of quantum computers. Train a quantum computer the same way as a neural network.
Author:
Author-email:
License: Apache License 2.0
Requires: appdirs, autograd, autoray, cachetools, networkx, numpy, pennylane-lightning, requests, rustworkx, scipy, semantic-version, toml
Required-by: PennyLane-Cirq, PennyLane-Lightning

Platform info: Linux-5.15.109±x86_64-with-glibc2.35
Python version: 3.10.6
Numpy version: 1.22.4
Scipy version: 1.10.0
Installed devices:

Awesome thanks! I was able to verify that the transfer learning demo is slower when using lightning. I’ll reach out to our performance team to see what’s going on here and will get back to you!

The reason this demo in particular runs much slower with lightning qubit is, oddly enough, because of the smaller qubit count. There is an overhead associated to setting up and running simulations with lightning. For problems with <10 qubits, it’s probably better to just use default qubit!

As far as the other devices go, it’s a similar story. For SV1 I think they recommend using it for anything with >25 qubits.

Hope this helps!