Mixing PyQuil and PennyLane code

I’m trying to build a quantum GAN in PennyLane similar to the example in the Python notebook presented in class. However, I’d like to teach the generator of the GAN to learn a series of quantum operations that have been defined in a PyQuil program. Basically the generator is to learn this function that was defined in a PyQuil program. Let’s say that the output of this program is N qbits. How do I get PennyLane to read in this output in the as wires 0-8 in PennyLane? I’m assuming this has to do with devices like so? https://pennylane-forest.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage.html

Hi @pgarz! You might need to provide me with more details so that I can understand your problem.

Do you have an existing pyQuil program, and you would like to be able to use this directly in a PennyLane QNode?

Yes, I basically have a separate script that creates an output of 9 qbits and it’s written in PyQuil. I would like to execute this script and then have my PennyLane script be able to read in this output into the first 9 wires. I don’t need PennyLane specific stuff to happen as part of this PyQuil operation. My PennyLane program just needs to start reading in these 9 qbits at that state and move on from there. I guess I could try to rewrite this all strictly in PennyLane, but I’m wondering if there’s an easy option here.

Unfortunately, the only supported way at the moment is to rewrite it all strictly in PennyLane.

However, we are working towards adding Quil support in PennyLane soon :slightly_smiling_face:

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the help!