InvalidArgumentError: cannot compute Mul as input #1(zero-based) was expected to be a float tensor but is a double tensor [Op:Mul]

I am trying this demo:https://github.com/sophchoe/Hybrid-Quantum-Classical-MNIST-Classfication-Model/blob/main/MNIST_Pennylane_Keras.ipynb. But a problem is:

I have tried various data types but have been unable to resolve them.

@Maria_Schuld
@Andre_Tavares
@bventura
@CatalinaAlbornoz
@davidos
@Emil_Zak

Hey @RX1,

Have you tried casting X_train as a float32 tensor? See tf.cast()

I have tried all the data types possible, but the problem still remains

In the code example you provided, you’re casting X_train as a double tensor, whereas Y_train is a float tensor. Can you try casting X_train as a float tensor? I.e. X_train = tf.cast(X_train, dtype=tf.float32).

you can try this demo

It doesn’t work. You can try this demo https://github.com/sophchoe/Hybrid-Quantum-Classical-MNIST-Classfication-Model/blob/main/MNIST_Pennylane_Keras.ipynb

@RX1 can you show me the output of your code when you define X_train as X_train = tf.cast(X_train, dtype=tf.float32)?

I’m facing the same problem

Hey @VQX! It looks like your error message is cut off — I can’t see the entire message! Can you attach the whole thing?

Hi @VQX,

You can try adding the following line to your code at the very beginning of your notebook, just after importing TensorFlow as tf:

tf.keras.backend.set_floatx('float32')

If this doesn’t work then maybe try

tf.keras.backend.set_floatx('float64')

And convert your dtype to float64.

Please let me know if this solves your issue!

If it doesn’t work:

If you follow this tutorial as-is, does it work?

And can you please post the output of qml.about()?

tf.keras.backend.set_floatx('float32')
I tried both , but didn’t worked
The tutorial does works if I run it as it is!

Here’s the output for qml.about():

Hi @VQX,

I’m not being able to replicate your error. Can you please share your full code, including the data you’re using, to see if I can help you find the problem? My guess is that this is something related to the data types.

Hey @VQX @CatalinaAlbornoz
Have you solved this issue? I’m also facing this exactly same problem. Full code is in this demo Continous-Variable-Quantum-MNIST-Classifiers/2_qumode_classifier.ipynb at main · sophchoe/Continous-Variable-Quantum-MNIST-Classifiers · GitHub

Hi @Nick_Dickens,
Can you please share the output of qml.about() and your full error traceback? I’m running the demo on Xanadu Cloud and it runs well.

This line of code solved my error

Hi @VQX, I’m glad this solved your problem! Thank you for sharing here what worked for you :slight_smile:

@VQX @CatalinaAlbornoz Thank you all for solving my probem, the method of VQX is valid.

That’s great to hear @Nick_Dickens !