How to use GPU to accelerate the hybrid QNN

Hi. I am tring to implement a quantum-classical hybrid neural network. But I found that the training is very slow. When I use the GPU, I meet some problem. Is there any way to use GPU for the training?

import pennylane as qml
import torch
import torch.nn as nn
import torch.nn.functional as F
import os

batch_size = 32
epochs = 30
lr = 1e-3
w_decay = 1e-4

os.environ["CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES"] = "0"
device = torch.device('cuda')

n_qubits = 16
dev = qml.device("default.qubit", wires=n_qubits)
@qml.qnode(dev)
def qnode(inputs, w):

for i in range(n_qubits):
        qml.RX((inputs[0:batch_size, i]), wires=i)

qml.Rot(*w, wires=0)
    for cont in range(15):
        qml.CNOT(wires=[cont, cont+1])

return (qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(0)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(1)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(2)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(3)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(4)),
    qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(5)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(6)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(7)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(8)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(9)),
    qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(10)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(11)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(12)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(13)), qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(14)),
    qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(15)))

weight_shapes = {"w": 3}

class MNIST(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super().__init__()
        # 1,28x28
        self.pool = torch.nn.AvgPool2d(7, 7)                      # 4x4
        self.qlayer = qml.qnn.TorchLayer(qnode, weight_shapes)
        self.fc1 = torch.nn.Linear(16, 10)

def forward(self, x):
        bsz = x.shape[0]
        x = self.pool(x).view(bsz, 16)
        out = self.qlayer(x)
        out = self.fc1(out)
        out = F.log_softmax(out, dim=1)
        return out

model = MNIST().to(device)

a = torch.rand((1,1,28,28)).to(device)
b = model(a)

But I get the error as follows.

RuntimeError: Expected all tensors to be on the same device, but found at least two devices, cuda:0, cpu!

Can anyone help me with this error?

I’m not an expert but it seems that you have activated the GPU of your pc, but the device called through PennyLane:

dev = qml.device("default.qubit", wires=n_qubits)

does not support GPU, I mean probably you need to type some Torch interface inside it, otherwise I don’t know.

Thanks @checcopo.
I have tried your suggestion. And it worked. However, the utilization rate of GPU is not high, and it seems that the training speed is not as good as that of CPU. This may be due to pennylane issues. Anyway thank you for your answer. :+1:

Yeah, probably you are right. Anyway, I suggest you to have a look at PyTorch website to see which other little tricks you could apply to your code to save memory and stuffs like that. Also to check compatibility with your GPU and what PyTorch supports. Did you check the usage frequency of your GPU from the terminal?

Yeah. I checked the usage frequency of my GPU. It is just around 20%. I know there are a lot of factors that can change the usage frequency of a GPU. Hopefully I can figure out what’s going wrong.

Hey @cheng!

Using Torch’s GPU functionality is something we can’t guarantee a huge performance boost with. We have PennyLane-LightningGPU (Lightning GPU device — Lightning 0.35.0 documentation), the downside there is that getting it to jive with Torch’s GPU handling isn’t going to work as you might expect (it’s all handled different under the hood). Let me know if that helps at all!

Thanks @isaacdevlugt
I will try it.

1 Like