Adding noise to a Keras hybrid NN

Hello i have a qnode in a keras NN defined as:

@qml.qnode(dev, interface="tf", grad_method="backprop")
def qnode(inputs, weights):
    for i in range(blocks):
        qml.templates.AngleEmbedding(inputs, wires=range(n_qubits))
        qml.templates.StronglyEntanglingLayers(weights[i], wires=range(n_qubits)) 
    return [qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(i)) for i in range(n_qubits)]

I would like to add some noise to mimick classical dropout layer. I have tried to used the noise from DEMO: https://pennylane.ai/qml/demos/tutorial_noisy_circuits.html . But probably the noise functions are not supported by Keras?! Any suggestion to implenent noise? Thanks in advance!

Hi @NikSchet,

Thank you for your question! :slightly_smiling_face:

The following example would simulate noise models by:

• Using the default.mixed device that supports noise models
  • Applying qml.DepolarizingChannel noise channels within the quantum function

import pennylane as qml
from pennylane import numpy as np

n_qubits = 5

dev = qml.device('default.mixed', wires=n_qubits)

inputs = np.ones(5, requires_grad=False)
weights = np.ones((3,3,5,3), requires_grad=True)
blocks = 3
p = 0.01

@qml.qnode(dev, interface="tf", diff_method="best")
    for i in range(blocks):
        qml.templates.AngleEmbedding(inputs, wires=range(n_qubits))
        qml.templates.StronglyEntanglingLayers(weights[i], wires=range(n_qubits))
        qml.DepolarizingChannel(p, wires=0)
        qml.DepolarizingChannel(p, wires=1)
    return [qml.expval(qml.PauliZ(i)) for i in range(n_qubits)]

weight_shapes = {"weights": (3,3,5,3)}
qlayer = qml.qnn.KerasLayer(qnode, weight_shapes, output_dim=2)
qlayer(inputs)
<tf.Tensor: shape=(5,), dtype=float32, numpy=
array([ 0.02523608,  0.0064983 ,  0.248738  , -0.07350533, -0.12045245],
      dtype=float32)>

Would this be something close to what you’d like to have?

Note: we’re setting diff_method="best" in the example which will correspond to the parameter-shift rule. The reason for this is that the default.mixed device doesn’t support backpropagation. Furthermore, in the original linked example passing grad_method="backprop" to the QNode will not take any effect, as the keyword is diff_method rather than grad_method.

Let us know if we could further help. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much for the help.

Furthermore, in the original linked example passing grad_method="backprop" to the QNode will not take any effect, as the keyword is diff_method rather than grad_method .

So , it didnt make sense in the code shown before to add “backprop” (i havent enabled back-propagation) and instead i should have used :

grad_method=“diff_method”`

to get backpropagation?

No worries! In the code shown before, specifying grad_method="backprop" indeed doesn’t enable backpropagation.

It would have to be diff_method="backprop" passed to qml.qnode such that it’s

@qml.qnode(dev, interface="tf", diff_method="backprop")

This will only work with default.qubit though.

Thank you very much, i suppose backpropagation is very important for a Hybrid and probably it will boost metrics (like accuracy , prediction grids , etc), so i will enable it for default.qubit using diff_method=“backprop” as suggested.

I was under the impression that backpropagation was by default enabled in hybrid models (by hybrid i reffer to a qnode sandwitched between classical layers).

Thanks!!

Hi @NikSchet, it is worth noting, that if no diff_method is passed to @qml.qnode, then diff_method="best" is the default. When possible, this will result in using backpropagation by default, as is the case for default.qubit.

As diff_method was not specified in the original snippet and grad_method was ignored, the QNode defaulted to diff_method="best". That is equivalent to passing diff_method="backpropagation" to the QNode decorator for the default.qubit device.

So when using default.qubit, backpropagation is being used both when no diff_method argument is passed or when passing diff_method="backpropagation" to the QNode decorator.

Passing the diff_method="backpropagation" argument is useful to make the differentiation method explicit and it also helps to swap to another diff method if need be.

thank you very much for the explanation:)

2 Likes